Local SEO is the process of optimizing your website and online presence so that your business appears prominently in local search results. One of the most important aspects of local SEO is keyword research.
Keyword research is the process of identifying the keywords and phrases that people are using to search for businesses like yours. By targeting the right keywords, you can increase the chances that your website will appear in the search results when people are looking for what you offer.
There are a few different strategies you can use for local keyword research. Here are a few of the most effective:
- Brainstorm keywords related to your business.
Start by brainstorming a list of keywords that are relevant to your business. This could include the products or services you offer, your location, or your target audience.
- Use keyword research tools.
There are a number of keyword research tools available that can help you identify relevant keywords and phrases. Some popular tools include Google Keyword Planner, SEMrush, and Ahrefs. No matter which keyword research tool you choose, it’s important to use it consistently to track your progress and improve your results.
- Analyze your competitors.
Take a look at the keywords that your competitors are targeting. This can give you some ideas for keywords that you may not have thought of.
- Pay attention to search intent.
When people search for a keyword, they are usually looking for something specific. It’s important to understand the search intent behind the keywords you target. For example, if someone searches for “Digital Marketing services in auckland” they are likely looking for a for an agency who can come to business right away.
Once you have identified a list of relevant keywords, you need to evaluate them to determine which ones are the best fit for your business.
Some factors to consider
- Search volume: How many people are searching for this keyword each month?
- Keyword difficulty: How competitive is it to rank for this keyword?
- Cost per click (CPC): How much does it cost to get a click on an ad for this keyword?
- Search intent: What are people looking for when they search for this keyword
Here are some additional tips for local keyword research:
- Use long-tail keywords. Long-tail keywords are more specific and less competitive than short-tail keywords. They are also more likely to be used by people who are ready to buy.
- Use location-specific keywords. When possible, use keywords that include your location. This will help your business appear in local search results for people who are searching for businesses like yours in your area.
- Use negative keywords. Negative keywords are words or phrases that you don’t want your website to show up for. For example, if you’re an agency , you might want to use the negative keyword “Free consulting” so that your website doesn’t show up for searches like “Digital Marketing services in auckland”
- Track your results. Once you start implementing your keyword research strategy, it’s important to track your results. This will help you determine which keywords are working and which ones need to be adjusted.
By following these tips, you can conduct effective keyword research for local SEO and improve the visibility of your business in local search results.